Although we have used rinses, foams and gel trays to apply fluoride for many years in our office we now recommend the use of topically applied Fluoride Varnish.
The most current professional dental studies show fluoride varnish to be the most effective high concentration fluoride application available today. Why?
- It is easy to apply in just a few minutes
- Children don’t swallow it and the taste is very subtle and pleasant.
- Patients can eat and drink immediately after application.
- The Varnish stays on teeth for 4-6 hours, then is easily removed by brushing.
- The Varnish creates a reservoir of fluoride on the tooth surface that is released for up to 30 days